I Am Not a Nature Girl

I've lived all of my adult life in cities where the only nature available is the park. I'm used to car fumes instead of fresh air. In fact, when I decided to explore nature this week, I came to the artificial nature of a park rather than venture outside the city. Still, it's beautiful here. The air is fresher.

From my perspective, it's weird to be a witch and not connected to the natural world. It's certainly difficult to be a witch without access to outdoor space. When a spell calls for you to bury something once you're finished with it, I don't have any place to do the burying. I've pondered buying a plant pot and some compost, but that's not really on-theme for why you're burying something in the first place.

How can I be a witch without access to trees and grass and greenery? Well, I still have some elements of nature at my disposal. The sun still hangs in the sky. The moon still has its cycles. I still have the breeze, even if it smells of car fumes. There is still the ground beneath my feet. I make do, is what I'm trying to say. And I'm sure I'm not the only witch who does.

Still, I have come here to the park, to sit on a bench and listen to the birds chirruping. To see the green leaves rustling on the trees. To breathe in cool, crisp air. Maybe it will do more than remind me of what I don't have on the day-to-day. Maybe it will rest me, restore me.

In this moment, even though I am not a Nature Girl, I feel connected to them. I feel connected to everyone who is connected to the earth, even if it's only temporary.

Whenever I see a tree, I am reminded that the world is bigger than me. Look at me now, surrounded by trees, their roots deep in the earth, connecting us all together.

Well, it's time to go home. Even though I'm not a nature girl, it's been fun pretending. Tell me, are you a nature person?

Comments

Popular Posts